Bard's Coliseum

Bard's Coliseum (http://www.bardscoliseum.com/index.php)
-   Gladiator Arena (http://www.bardscoliseum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   V a c a t i o n ! (http://www.bardscoliseum.com/showthread.php?t=19549)

StrayStar 08-08-2014 12:33 AM

V a c a t i o n !

On Sunday afternoon I will once again be headed for Indonesia. My flight leaves JFK around 8pm Sunday. I'll be gone about 2 1/2 weeks this time.

I am expecting to see a number of things that I didn't see last time around. One of the items high on my agenda is I have an opportunity to visit several gold mining operations, 1 legal and the others not so legal.

I think I will be getting up close and personal with several volcanos again. My knee is bothering me lately so I don't know if I'll make the steep climb up Mahawu again, although I want to & probably will. And I'll be taking some pics of Lokon from a different vantage point than last time.

There is a geothermal electric generating plant just south of where I will be. I am trying to get into there to have a look. I have a guy that thinks he can get me in for a look.

Anyhow, I hope to be able to get on the Coliseum while I'm there. As usual I'm not taking any laptop or anything with me. I think there is one i can use while I'm there, but most people have gone to use of cell phones only for their internet. Me, I won't spend the money to make my cell phone work while I'm there.

StrayStar 08-08-2014 01:19 AM

Re: V a c a t i o n !

I've moved a couple of my previous Indonesia threads from the Photo forum to the main forum for a while. If I get a chance to post new pics while I'm there, I will. I've locked those 2 threads though. Anything in them is fair game to bring to this thread to discuss, though. Just want to keep those as they were back when The Bard was still at his best. :thumbsup

Calli 08-08-2014 09:35 PM

Have a great time...bring along a knee brace if you have one...they won't have your size!!!!

StrayStar 08-09-2014 02:08 AM

You got that right, Calli.

Funny you should mention size... lat night I was packing and selecting a couple Batik shirts to bring with me, as I have a speech to deliver on the 18th & I will attend church with my brother-in-laws family at least once and why wear a shirt & tie when I don't need to in that damn heat?

Anyhow, my batik shirts are handmade in Indonesia, several from my measurements taken by the craftsman that made them. I am officially XXXXXL (5XL) in Indonesia, where here in the US, depending on the brand, I am XL or 2XL. Mostly XLT (XL-Tall) if from LL Bean, Cabellas, Tractor Supply, etc., where I buy most of my work shirts.

But I am 5XL in Indonesia, and one of my batiks could stand to be 6XL if there's such a thing hahahahahahah.

Anyhow, while packing I got to thinking that I expect I will be gifted a couple more shirts before I leave, anyhow. I'll know when I get there if my wife's younger brother starts measuring me hahahaha.

Here is a pic of President Obama wearing a batik shirt at a function on his trip to Indonesia. Those patterns you see there are typical of the ones you see in Balli. I have one similar to the gentleman with the turban to the left.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/...76_634x414.jpg

Here is Hillary Clinton wearing batik at the same function. I favor the pattern she has on, and I have one similar to the gentleman on the left.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/...01_634x415.jpg

Wrenchbender 08-09-2014 07:25 AM

Have a good trip, Stray! I do hope to see some new pictures! :happy

StrayStar 08-10-2014 04:46 AM

Well... we will be headed for NY in another hour or so.

My wife promised she'd only take 4 bags, so I planned 5 :winky but she trumped me and now it's 6 :ohwell.

Me, my allotted space in all that shrunk, so in 6 *big* bags I have only a couple shirts, a pair of good pants & 1 pr dress shoes for a couple functions I must attend.

Other than that, I got just what I got in my carry on :shrug, 20 lbs on the nose including 3 cameras :thumbsup

It's all good.

I gotta kill some time in Singapore tomorrow, I may make an attempt to get on here.

If not... happy trails :cool

StrayStar 08-11-2014 01:52 AM

In frankfort germany. managed to get my cell hooked with the local wifi. boarding for singapore in a few

Noguru 08-11-2014 06:58 AM

Safe travels, and have a good time!:thumbsup

StrayStar 08-11-2014 05:51 PM

Thanks NG!

Cooling my heels for a while in Singapore at the moment.

My luck with my (prepaid) cell ran out, though. (along with the battery - charger is in a suitcase)

Next stop: Manado, Indonesia. :thumbsup

StrayStar 08-13-2014 08:17 AM

I've been in Tomohon, Indonesia for a bit more than a day now. Just went thru my 1st power outtage and now sitting here with a (warm) Bintang beer on a borrowed laptop trying to poke around the internet and get out an email or 2, pay for an eBay auction i won while in transit, update my wife's Facebook, post here, and generally navigate on a laptop who's default language in Indonesian, an internet connection that is quirky at best, and at times slow enought for me to go get another beer whil a page changes. Right at the moment it's smoking so I'm typing fast ;)

Tomorrow I'm going fishing. A friend on mine who returned here from the states has a fish pond in back of his house. I am going there and meeting some people I know and we are going to drink beer and fish and gut them out while they're still flippin' and slap them on the fire.

Gonna be a good time I think.

Meanwhile i got to see if i can post a pic or 2 on here.