Bard's Coliseum  

Go Back   Bard's Coliseum > Main Category > Gladiator Arena

Old 12-29-2017, 05:11 AM
'Bardonia's Administrator

StrayStar is a splendid one to beholdStrayStar is a splendid one to beholdStrayStar is a splendid one to beholdStrayStar is a splendid one to beholdStrayStar is a splendid one to beholdStrayStar is a splendid one to beholdStrayStar is a splendid one to beholdStrayStar is a splendid one to behold
Default Selamat Tahun Baru

Happy New Year !

It's 10 below this morning here at the Stray Star compound, so I'm hunkered down at the moment, but the wife and I may decide to head out for a road trip to VT this weekend - about 50-50 at the moment - so just in case, I didn't want to forget to wish a happy and prosperous New Year to all.

If you think I'm letting the cold and snow keep me housebound this week, here's a day after Christmas pic I froze my ass off to get. Yes Wrench, that's a Texas Longhorn.

Attached Images

Old 12-30-2017, 01:09 PM
Elite Member

Calli is a splendid one to beholdCalli is a splendid one to beholdCalli is a splendid one to beholdCalli is a splendid one to beholdCalli is a splendid one to beholdCalli is a splendid one to beholdCalli is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Selamat Tahun Baru

Selamat Tahun Baru to you, too!!

Happy New Year, \
FREEZING COLD, almost out of oil and the oil company's
answering service said they'll be back on Tuesday....guess we'll be buying expensive diesel fuel for a couple of days. The darned gage has no markings so DH is really concerned with this deep freeze if we will have enough to last.

What is a long horned cow doing in NH...poor thing could be a lot warmer in Texas. Those Scottish bovines work out better in the cold North East.
Old 12-30-2017, 03:59 PM

StrayStar is a splendid one to beholdStrayStar is a splendid one to beholdStrayStar is a splendid one to beholdStrayStar is a splendid one to beholdStrayStar is a splendid one to beholdStrayStar is a splendid one to beholdStrayStar is a splendid one to beholdStrayStar is a splendid one to behold

Good to see ya, Calli!

My advice... don't chance it. Get some diesel in there sooner rather than later if you think there's a chance you can't make it. If your oil company is like most around here, if you call Tuesday they won't deliver until Wed. and if you persuade them the situation is dire, them may charge you extra. YMMV... but (voice of experience here) get ahead of it and throw some in. Around here the diesel ain't much more, heating oil is around 2.38 and I can get diesel at Cumberland Farms for 2.76.

I lived with a broken gauge for several years. somewhere just below 1/4 it would kinda hang then all of a sudden it would drop to E.

The guy that has those longhorns have had them for a while. They don't seem to mind the cold. They ain't dumb, they are up against those trees and hill on the left, blocking the wind, and the sun was coming from the right.

It took me about 2 months of driving by out there in the boonies to be able to catch them in a good spot in the pasture, close to me and sunny day. Was a bonus we had fresh snow that day.

Get some diesel.
Old 12-31-2017, 10:31 PM
Elite Member

Calli is a splendid one to beholdCalli is a splendid one to beholdCalli is a splendid one to beholdCalli is a splendid one to beholdCalli is a splendid one to beholdCalli is a splendid one to beholdCalli is a splendid one to behold

Told DH that cousin in the Great North said get Diesel....he invited Vin to dinner......5 gallons today another 5 tomorrow...so darned cold and getting
colder.

I wanna go to Disney World!
Old 01-01-2018, 05:47 AM

... -12 at 5 this morning here... if Wrench is in MN he'd probably call that balmy LOL.

Snow on the way for later this week, and no sign of a break in the cold.

Calli, glad to hear you are moving on the diesel. While it's simple to restart a furnace after running out, there is always that 1 in 100 times you run into trouble, especially if the nozzle is a year or so old. You don't wanna find out with it 10 below and the house freezing up around you.

I have several back up heat sources. Using one now to assist with the heating, damn those cathedral ceilings!!!!
Old 01-01-2018, 10:29 PM
Elite Member

The best advice I can share with you, Stray....a ceiling fan that has a reverse so that it drives the warm air down in the winter. We set ours on low and it really makes a difference.

Man that furnace has been running forever, this is the coldest its been here in our state for this long in over a hundred years. Doors open under the kitchen sink and water dripping.....5 degrees right now.
Old 01-02-2018, 09:10 AM
Elite Member

It is a HAPPY day, OIL delivery at 10 AM...yea we made it!

Hope everyone is holding up with this deep freeze, it's a mild 11 degrees right now. Let's hear from the folks further north...how're you doing?

Next project, get a plumber to fix whatever is causing a small pool on our
first floor back hall, find a repairman for the vacuum cleaner, there's something else, but I don't have my list....busy, busy, busy!

As my attorney once said, "It's only money!" damn him!
Old 01-02-2018, 10:12 AM

`
Great! Re: Oil Delivery!

As for me, I'm hanging in there. Was only 5 below this morning, had zero a couple days ago, but pretty much below zero everyday. Been logging it on Facebook most days this past week or so... https://www.facebook.com/tim.drake.94043

Been running a little 10,000 BTU radiant kerosene heater in the hallway for the last 5 days or so. Really been keeping the furnace from running constantly. I get about 14 or so hours out of a 1.1 gal. tank, so less than 2 gal a 24 hr day. Furnace was running at least 45 min out of every hour up til then, currently got a .75 Gal/hr nozzle in there so been burning a half gal or more an hour around the clock until I pulled out the kero heater. I have back ups still in case the power goes out...

... we are due for another snow storm sometime tomorrow or tomorrow night... damn!

Forecast is for very cold next 10 days, maybe one or 2 into the 20's but very brief.

And so... how's NG & Wrench making out?

Old 01-02-2018, 05:38 PM
Virgil Turdblossom

Wrenchbender is a name known to allWrenchbender is a name known to allWrenchbender is a name known to allWrenchbender is a name known to allWrenchbender is a name known to allWrenchbender is a name known to all

Stuck in Minneberia...been nursing a horrible infection in my elbow. It developed about a month after a nasty spider bite. So I've been housebound this past week and missing work. Not fun.

This COLD crap is for the birds!! I need to look out my window and see girls in bikinis prancing beneath swaying palm tree, NOT bleak frozen oblivion!

This charcoal briquet of a phone is very difficult to type on with my fat fingers. Merry New Year!
Old 01-10-2018, 08:50 PM
Elite Member

thebigk has a spectacular aura aboutthebigk has a spectacular aura aboutthebigk has a spectacular aura about

Maybe you were biten by a brown recluse