Bard's Coliseum  

Go Back   Bard's Coliseum > Main Category > Gladiator Arena

Old 08-03-2016, 10:31 AM
'Bardonia's Administrator

StrayStar is a splendid one to beholdStrayStar is a splendid one to beholdStrayStar is a splendid one to beholdStrayStar is a splendid one to beholdStrayStar is a splendid one to beholdStrayStar is a splendid one to beholdStrayStar is a splendid one to beholdStrayStar is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Drought, Heat, Summer of 2016

We got some rain here over the last several days. Not as much a NG but it was on & off for 3 days so it soaked in pretty good. River is still way low, though.

hopefully we'll get some more soon.
Old 08-03-2016, 12:31 PM
Elite Member

Calli is a splendid one to beholdCalli is a splendid one to beholdCalli is a splendid one to beholdCalli is a splendid one to beholdCalli is a splendid one to beholdCalli is a splendid one to beholdCalli is a splendid one to behold

Here's hoping that keeps the well from running dry, Nog.
Glad you got some rain up there, Stray.

Between the drought and the politics this has been a miserable summer.

Question, can "The Donald" go lower?
Answer, wait and see!!

I have no one to vote for...I have no hope...I'm going to Canada!!
Old 08-04-2016, 04:17 AM

StrayStar is a splendid one to beholdStrayStar is a splendid one to beholdStrayStar is a splendid one to beholdStrayStar is a splendid one to beholdStrayStar is a splendid one to beholdStrayStar is a splendid one to beholdStrayStar is a splendid one to beholdStrayStar is a splendid one to behold

Every day it seems Donald answers your question, Calli, with a resounding "YES!" Hard to believe but you see the evidence every time you turn on the TV.

The republicans are going to wish to hell they'd not dismissed John Kasich so easily.

It's a lousy choice this time around. And I can't fall back on voting for a 3rd party as I've done several times in the past couple decades. I am firmly in the Anyone But Trump camp, thus I cannot throw away my vote tilting at windmills this time around.

I am suffering this morning. Went out to dinner with 2 of my co-workers last night, one is 20 years my junior and the other is 40 years younger than me. So dinner ment going to one place for a couple beers, going to another for dinner and drinks, and finishing up at a 3rd place for... more beers. F*** me, now I remember why I quit that stuff on a work night...

I like this time of year. The nights are cool. This morning there was what I call the August Mist on the river when the sun came up. The days have not been too hot, but the humidity has been a tad uncomfortable. Have high hopes of a not-too-hot & humid weekend. Wouldn't mind some rain Saturday evening after 5 or so, I have a pile of stuff I want to burn, but won't unless there is a steady rain. Although it's rained a couple day this last week-10 days or so, it's still way dry out there.

Last edited by StrayStar; 08-04-2016 at 11:14 AM.
Old 08-23-2016, 07:27 AM

And so, the weather has changed a bit this past week. First we got some rain, several times in fact. The nights have been cooling down pretty good. In fact last night it got a bit too cool in the house, but that was my fault. I (finally) painted the ceiling in my bedroom last evening and i opened all the windows to get the fumes out. Well, I fell asleep with most of them open, and so when i woke up in th emiddle of the night it was pretty chilly in there.

Summer is drawing to a fast close. Most of the elderberries are ripe and I spent part of sat and sun driving to my old spots and picking them. that was the good part, the suck part was spending 3 hours Sunday evening (when I should have been painting... ) juicing them. But I have enough juice in the freezer now for 3.5 batches of elderberry jelly. Do you have any idea how much elderberries you got to have for that much (10.5 cups) juice? A friggen lot.

Waking up in the morning now to a fog on the river. need to get out and take a few pics while it lasts.

Anyhow, seems like the summer just started and it's almost gone.

Old 08-23-2016, 08:53 AM

oh, yeah, BTW... juicing that many elderberries is the best way to turn half the stuff in your kitchen purple.
Old 08-23-2016, 12:55 PM
Elite Member

Calli is a splendid one to beholdCalli is a splendid one to beholdCalli is a splendid one to beholdCalli is a splendid one to beholdCalli is a splendid one to beholdCalli is a splendid one to beholdCalli is a splendid one to behold

OMG...Elderberries...I remember the jelly making days...as a kid I juiced my own berries put a lid on the jar...drank the liquid a week later and got a buzz...it had fermented nicely. I was only 8 at the time.

We had some rain again, not enough to really help We had some Tornado at 3:30 AM Monday. Turns out they put out a tornado watch around 3 AM...gee we missed it. Thankfully the tornado hit a sparsely populated part of town on the west side...we live on the east side. Concord, Ma., got hit pretty hard, no injuries, but loss of electricity and lots of trees down and property damage.
Old 08-23-2016, 02:43 PM
Virgil Turdblossom

Wrenchbender is a name known to allWrenchbender is a name known to allWrenchbender is a name known to allWrenchbender is a name known to allWrenchbender is a name known to allWrenchbender is a name known to all

My wife's fam lives in Bedford, next door to Concord.
Old 08-24-2016, 02:10 AM

I had that same experience with some fresh pressed apple cider... last fall

I have a source for cider straight from the farm that not only has no preservatives but is not irradiated as well, which is pretty much illegal to sell these days due to the food police 20 years ago worried that you can get sick. No surprise it tastes like you remember cider tasting, not like apple juice which is what most ciders taste like today.

I need to go out tonight or tomorrow night and get some more elderberries. I can't leave that .5 batch hanging, got to even it up to 4.

I will probably make a batch of elderberry jelly this weekend. My daughter is coming up for the weekend and it's a good time to introduce them to the art.

Since 2 of the batches of juice are for my mom, that will leave me with 1 full batch worth of juice in the freezer. Come to think of it, maybe I should wait and introduce them to picking and juicing elderberries as well

Last edited by StrayStar; 08-24-2016 at 04:24 AM.
Old 08-24-2016, 04:09 AM

Tornados in Concord, Mass.

Just last month we had a tornado up in Pittsburg, NH. That's up by the Canadian border.

Not long ago we had several tornados touch down just north of me about 20 miles or so. These really ripped up an intermittent path about 50 miles long.

Last summer there was a tornado in Warner, NH.

About 5 years ago a tornado struck Springfield, Mass, killing a few people.

And there are more, I just can't recall them.

New England has always had tornados. Just not as often and not a powerful as what we've had recently.

Weather records are being set on almost a monthly basis here and around the world. Last week in the news, July was the warmest month ever recorded. For the entire earth, not just some local region that you never heard of. It is the latest in an unbroken string of 15 record setting months. It beat a hot July 2015 by a wide margin.

And yet, if you belong to a certain political party, it is required that you must deny that climate change is happening.

Old 08-25-2016, 04:30 AM

Donald Trump on Climate Change:
"The concept of global warming was created by and for the Chinese in order to make U.S. manufacturing non-competitive."
When called out on the above (if you can decipher it):
"Well, I think the climate change is just a very, very expensive form of tax. A lot of people are making a lot of money. I know much about climate change. I'd be — received environmental awards. And I often joke that this is done for the benefit of China. Obviously, I joke. But this is done for the benefit of China, because China does not do anything to help climate change. They burn everything you could burn; they couldn't care less. They have very — you know, their standards are nothing. But they — in the meantime, they can undercut us on price. So it's very hard on our business."
December 30, 2015:
"Obama's talking about all of this with the global warming and … a lot of it's a hoax. It's a hoax. I mean, it's a money-making industry, okay? It's a hoax, a lot of it."
Again:
"NBC News just called it the great freeze — coldest weather in years. Is our country still spending money on the GLOBAL WARMING HOAX?"
Just 3 months ago:
"(Recind) all the job-destroying Obama executive actions, including the Climate Action Plan... cancel the Paris Climate Agreement and stop all payments of U.S. tax dollars to U.N. global warming programs."
However, at the same time 3 months ago, when he was hanging out at his new golf course in Scotland, we find THIS:
Donald Trump says he is “not a big believer in global warming.” He has called it “a total hoax,” “bullshit” and “pseudoscience.”

But he is also trying to build a sea wall designed to protect one of his golf courses from “global warming and its effects.”

The New York billionaire is applying for permission to erect a coastal protection works to prevent erosion at his seaside golf resort, Trump International Golf Links & Hotel Ireland, in County Clare.

A permit application for the wall, filed by Trump International Golf Links Ireland and reviewed by POLITICO, explicitly cites global warming and its consequences — increased erosion due to rising sea levels and extreme weather this century — as a chief justification for building the structure.

The zoning application raises further questions about how the billionaire developer would confront a risk he has publicly minimized but that has been identified as a defining challenge of this era by world leaders, global industry and the American military. His public disavowal of climate science at the same time he moves to secure his own holdings against the effects of climate change also illustrates the conflict between his political rhetoric and the realities of running a business with seaside assets in the 21st century.