Bard's Coliseum  

Go Back   Bard's Coliseum > Main Category > Gladiator Arena

Old 12-01-2016, 11:14 AM
'Bardonia's Administrator

StrayStar is a splendid one to beholdStrayStar is a splendid one to beholdStrayStar is a splendid one to beholdStrayStar is a splendid one to beholdStrayStar is a splendid one to beholdStrayStar is a splendid one to beholdStrayStar is a splendid one to beholdStrayStar is a splendid one to behold
Thumbs up Another trip to Indonesia :)

On Saturday, December 10, I will be headed once again for Indonesia.

I'll not be returning until after Christmas... don't remember the exact date at the moment.

I expect to be able to check in and post while I'm there. I don't plan to take my laptop (my wife's packing so much I'll be lucky to have room for a change of clothes... ) so i will have to borrow one from someone there, as I usually do.

I expect this to be the best visit yet

Old 12-01-2016, 04:13 PM
Elite Member

Calli is a splendid one to beholdCalli is a splendid one to beholdCalli is a splendid one to beholdCalli is a splendid one to beholdCalli is a splendid one to beholdCalli is a splendid one to beholdCalli is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Another trip to Indonesia :)

Okay, world traveler....why is this expected to be the best trip yet? Come on give us the details. Also there will be pictures, won't there? How many hours in the plane...to get there?
Old 12-01-2016, 06:05 PM

StrayStar is a splendid one to beholdStrayStar is a splendid one to beholdStrayStar is a splendid one to beholdStrayStar is a splendid one to beholdStrayStar is a splendid one to beholdStrayStar is a splendid one to beholdStrayStar is a splendid one to beholdStrayStar is a splendid one to behold

Let's see... how will it be the best yet... ? Let me count the ways...

Well, we are going for the longest amount of time yet. I will have time to do some things that I've had to just give a lick and a promise to the last couple times. Over the last couple visits I went far and wide from one end of North Sulawesi to the other, in a rather hasty fashion. This time I know where I want to spend some time, and I will have the time.

And... sometime in the middle of my stay I will be flying to Bali for a couple days Google Bali and look at the images.... I will be visiting 3 days, 2 nights with a local...

... which brings me to... I've bought a new camera ordered it on Monday should be here tomorrow. Yes, cousin, there WILL be pictures. I played it crafty... my wife needs a camera and she likes mine, so what could I do... I gave it to her, 'cause that's the kinda guy I am. But then, gee whizzz, now I needed a camera LOL.

The plane trip... well, I am flying out of JFK again. Singapore Airlines. About 7-8 hour flight then I will have an hour or so in Frankfort, Germany, then back on the same plane. Then 13-14 hours to Singapore where I'll have to cool my heels for maybe 6-7 hours waiting for my flight to Manado, which will be another, say 3-4 hours. When I hit the ground in Manado I'll be about an hour or so from Tomohon, my destination, but I suspect it will be more like 4 because I will be met at the airport by about 3 car loads of people and we will all have to go eat at a restaurant and maybe stop at someone's home, maybe more than 1.

Yabba dabba dooooo!
Old 12-01-2016, 11:22 PM
Elite Member

Calli is a splendid one to beholdCalli is a splendid one to beholdCalli is a splendid one to beholdCalli is a splendid one to beholdCalli is a splendid one to beholdCalli is a splendid one to beholdCalli is a splendid one to behold

You are one hardy soul...boy I hope you are able to get up and walk some while in the air that long. You're a tall man...how is the leg room on Singapore Airlines?..(they're small people) Are you able to sleep while en route? I recall one trip I made to England back in the 70's ...I think it was only 7 hours and I never got a wink of sleep I had taken the red eye out of Boston.

I love your Camera story...sounds like my guy and the way he worked a whole new Nikon outfit many years ago. So glad there will be pictures. More feet on the ground reporting of briefly visited places. Look forward to it.

Bali, hasn't there been some bad stuff happening over there. I think of Bali as paradise...and was astonished to hear of bombings. The radical miscreants are everywhere. Be safe.
Old 12-02-2016, 05:50 AM

The leg room in economy class on Singapore Airlines is as good as anybody's, and better than most. When I'm seated my knees don't touch anything in front of me, and as long as i don't put stuff under the seat in front of me I can stretch my legs all the way out. My wife is small, so when we raise the armrest between our seats we can both settle in nicely.

My choice for seats for us are the asile seat and the one next to it in the center rows. The center rows on the planes they use for the SQ25/SQ26 route flight are 4 across, therefore if I take 2 seats starting at the asile nobody has to crawl past me ('cept my wife as i take the asile) and I don't have to climb over anyone.

My only problem is when the asshole in the seat in front of me insists on reclining his/her seat all the way back. Then I can't do anything like read or watch tv (too close). On my last return home from Indo i had a person who I called "The Princess" in the seat in front of me. A young teenage girl that kept her seat back fully reclined 100% of the time (except for meals, when the flight attendant makes them put upright so the person behind can eat). She was also annoying because she called the flight attendents for water or something every half hour or less. I think they started calling her The Princess as well...

... speaking of flight attendants, they have the best, most professional I've encountered anywhere. On every flight I've taken on Singapore. I cannot say enough about them.

Me, I can sleep okay on a long flight, not really restfull though. On the way there, I catch up in the long layover at Singapore airport. Knock down a couple beers right away while my wife eats and go near my gate and get a comfortable seat (preferably where my wife can't see the shopping possibilities) and I can fall asleep a couple hours.
Old 12-02-2016, 05:36 PM
Virgil Turdblossom

Wrenchbender is a name known to allWrenchbender is a name known to allWrenchbender is a name known to allWrenchbender is a name known to allWrenchbender is a name known to allWrenchbender is a name known to all

Just the two or so hour flights between Houston and Minnie leave me crippled. It makes my knees throb seeing such banter about 13 hour flights. I'd have to give up on that notion and take a tramp steamer. Sit on the deck with a good book and a sip of scotch and enjoy watching the waves go by.

Enjoy the trip Stray!
Old 12-02-2016, 09:22 PM
Elite Member

Noguru is just really niceNoguru is just really niceNoguru is just really niceNoguru is just really nice

Safe travels Stray! Enjoy the trip
Old 12-15-2016, 02:40 PM

Been in Indonesia since 12/11 (12/12 local). 36 hours later back in the air and off for Bali.
Which is where I am now, trying to peck this out on my phone.
Having a great time.
Will post more when back in Tomohon on nieces laptop. I can't deal with damn phone
Old 12-17-2016, 08:47 AM
Elite Member

You poor man....there you are stuck in paradise and missing the negative temperatures, fierce winds, and snow of New England. My heart goes out to you!

Hope you are having a wonderful time and packed a really warm coat for your return to Nanook of the North Country!
Old 12-17-2016, 09:50 PM

80 - 85 deg every day. Low season and higher altitude here in Tomohon brings the temp down to 60's - 70's at night this time around.

Flew back from Bali last night (and boy are my arms tired... ) and this morning I am indeed on neice's laptop. It's a Mac and I've not touched a Mac for a decade so I have some learning to do to get pics off my camera, etc. My wife's Facebook takes top priority lol it's all good, she is happy as a clam. I didn't mention that all 4 of her brothers and her sister were all in Bali with us, so you can imagine the time she's having.

I'll be back when I get situated.

Stay warm...