Bard's Coliseum  

Go Back   Bard's Coliseum > ~Poetry Pavilion~

Old 04-01-2010, 03:13 PM
'Gladiator' In Wait

Bard has a reputation beyond reputeBard has a reputation beyond reputeBard has a reputation beyond reputeBard has a reputation beyond reputeBard has a reputation beyond reputeBard has a reputation beyond reputeBard has a reputation beyond reputeBard has a reputation beyond reputeBard has a reputation beyond reputeBard has a reputation beyond reputeBard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Philisopical Wanderings (Concerning Bigotry)

February 28, 2003

Alas
Yes, the times they are a changing, my only observational question however remains this, for the better or the worse?

Nah hell, I'm not truly jaded nor skeptical, truth be known, I however can only paint the world I see daily, churning and twisting in uncertainty and turmoil, and accented and steeped in hate and prejudice.

I can only note, chart and document and analyze the strides I deem small in my view, in my Fifty-two years of life.

Granted, we have made grand legal sweeping advances long overdo, in the arena of civil rights, yet we have made little to no advancement in this arena where our hearts are concerned in my humble estimation, concerning this grave and vital issue.

Oh yes we all parrot, adhere and reluctantly acquiesce to the present acceptable standards and status concerning verbal politically correct verbiage, but yet in our hearts, and at home at the dinner-table, indeed what do we teach and breath verbally in the presence of our children? How indeed are we impacting the next generation?

What do we teach them with our body language, and facial expressions when a particular group of people are mentioned? Does not the mere rolling of ones eyes, as well as the hardening and painful wincing of the face speak multitudes? Do not these unmistakable sighs and mutterings speak volumes to all concerning our true heart status, color and scent?

Oh I have observed closely lo these many years I have walked among the living, and I must confess, I have seen little but lip service offered in the arena of change concerning prejudice towards others differing from us merely in color or sect.

Few today will admit to the quiet slumbering burning prejudice they still lurks harbored and entombed in their hearts, but we know don't we? Yes, each of us deep down knows the current status of heart's concerning this issue.
I say this today, and scribe it to the record of time with no doubt nor hesitation, being fully persuaded that what I am about to state is true! The current global problems we incur this day, war, starvation, etc., shall NEVER be rectified nor solved, so long as mankind harbors discontent for others based on religion, race or creed.

Our chance for peace on the horizon of the morrow solely depends upon our change of heart today.
Our children deserve a gentler tomorrow, don't you think?
Peace,
Rodney Bohen

It is the bulk of a life lived, that defines a man, not merely
a chapter, moment, nor day.

Old 09-29-2010, 08:18 PM
Unbound

CooCooTheLooseScrew will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Philisopical Wanderings (Concerning Bigotry)

English translation as published in the 1972 book Important Utterances Of H.I.M. by the Imperial Ethiopian Ministry Of Information, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia:

"On the question of racial discrimination, the Addis Ababa summit conference taught, to those who will learn, this further lesson :

that until the philosophy which holds one race superior and another inferior is finally and permanently dicredited and abandoned;
that until there are no longer first class and second class citizens of any nation;
that until the colour of a man's skin is of no more significance than the colour of his eyes;
that until the basic human rights are equally guaranteed to all, without regard to race;
that until that day, the dream of lasting peace and world citizenship and the rule of international morality will remain but fleeting illusions, to be pursued but never attained.

And until the ignoble and unhappy regimes that hold our brothers in Angola, in Mozambique and in South Africa in sub-human bondage have been toppled and destroyed; until bigotry and prejudice and malicious and inhuman self-interest have been replaced by understanding and tolerance and good-will; until all Africans stand and speak as free beings, equal in the eyes of all men, as they are in the eyes of Heaven; until that day, the African continent will not know peace.

We Africans will fight, if necessary, and we know that we shall win, as we are confident in the victory of good over evil.

The basis of racial discrimination and colonialism has been economic, and it is with economic weapons that these evils have been and can be overcome. In pursuance of resolutions adopted at the Addis Ababa summit conference, African states have undertaken certain measures in the economic field which, if adopted by all member states of the United Nations, would soon reduce intransigeance to reason.

I ask, today, for adherence to these measures by every nation represented here which is truly devoted to the principles enunciated in the charter.
We must act while we can, while the occasion exists to exert those legitimate pressures available to us lest time run out and resort be had to less happy means.
The great nations of the world would do well to remember that in the modern age even their own fates are not wholely in their hands.
Peace demands the united efforts of us all. Who can foresee what spark might ignite the fuse?
The stake of each one of us is identical-life or death.

We all wish to live. We all seek a world in which men are freed of the burdens of ignorance, poverty, hunger and disease. And we shall all be hard-pressed to escape the deadly rain of nuclear fall-out should catastrophe overtake us.
The problems which confront us today are, equally, unprecedented. They have no counterparts in human experience. Men search the pages of history for solutions, for precedents, but there are none.

This then, is the ultimate challenge. Where are we to look for our survival, for the answers to the questions which have never before been posed? We must look, first, to the Almighty God, Who has raised man above the animals and endowed him with intelligence and reason. We must put our faith in Him, that He will not desert us or permit us to destroy humanity which He created in His image.

And we must look into ourselves, into the depth of our souls. We must become something we have never been and for which our education and experience and environment have ill-prepared us.
We must become bigger than we have been : more courageous, greater in spirit, larger in outlook. We must become members of a new race, overcoming petty prejudice, owing our ultimate allegiance not to nations but to our fellow men within the human community."

Haile Selassie I
4 October 1963
United Nations, New York.

One Heavenly Speech... Courage beyond words.

Last edited by CooCooTheLooseScrew; 09-29-2010 at 08:19 PM.
Old 09-29-2010, 08:41 PM
'Gladiator' In Wait

Bard has a reputation beyond reputeBard has a reputation beyond reputeBard has a reputation beyond reputeBard has a reputation beyond reputeBard has a reputation beyond reputeBard has a reputation beyond reputeBard has a reputation beyond reputeBard has a reputation beyond reputeBard has a reputation beyond reputeBard has a reputation beyond reputeBard has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
This then, is the ultimate challenge. Where are we to look for our survival, for the answers to the questions which have never before been posed? We must look, first, to the Almighty God, Who has raised man above the animals and endowed him with intelligence and reason. We must put our faith in Him, that He will not desert us or permit us to destroy humanity which He created in His image.

And we must look into ourselves, into the depth of our souls. We must become something we have never been and for which our education and experience and environment have ill-prepared us.

We must become bigger than we have been : more courageous, greater in spirit, larger in outlook. We must become members of a new race, overcoming petty prejudice, owing our ultimate allegiance not to nations but to our fellow men within the human community."
Quote:
Haile Selassie I
4 October 1963
United Nations, New York.

Coo....
Quote:
One Heavenly Speech... Courage beyond words.
Yes, certainly a man who stood head and shoulders
above the men of his day, in heart stature measured, certainy, most certainly, inspired and driven,
by the God he knew and was obediant to,
as he dared to scribe the words God scraped upon his heart so heavy
for mankind he served, a weight upon his heart few men have ever known,
inspired were his words, equal only to the spirit of God that found domain within his spirit.

Lord how we so need such men of likespirit this day, my generation passes the baton bruised and battered to you sir,

My prayer is your journey & generation might bear more fruit than Haile Selassie I's did ,

A burden fit only for a king, to step into the footsteps of a man such as he.

Old 09-29-2010, 08:42 PM
'Gladiator' In Wait

Leaders are few
men are many.

Old 09-29-2010, 08:56 PM
Unbound

CooCooTheLooseScrew will become famous soon enough

Your post reminded me of this speech... Tho Decades apart... Seemeingly the same Ideal...
I wasn't trying to detract from your post... Just wanted to show the likeness...

I don't know that my generation is the one Sir... I think it more likely my Son and Daughters world that will bring about the necessary leadership...

I don't know tho... I been saying that a lot lately... Seems I'm not knowing more than I'm knowing these dayz... It's cool with me...
Old 09-30-2010, 11:10 AM
'Gladiator' In Wait

Quote:
Originally Posted by CooCooTheLooseScrew
Your post reminded me of this speech... Tho Decades apart... Seemeingly the same Ideal...
I wasn't trying to detract from your post... Just wanted to show the likeness...

I don't know that my generation is the one Sir... I think it more likely my Son and Daughters world that will bring about the necessary leadership...

I don't know tho... I been saying that a lot lately... Seems I'm not knowing more than I'm knowing these dayz... It's cool with me...
Quote:
I understand, im honored to be on the same page as a giant such as he
SAD, that decades later there is still, words being weaved concerning the same topiic, Lord only knows when and if it ever will change, my guess is not.
It requires a desire that simply put, too many folks clearly do not have.
It would take divine intervention,