Bard's Coliseum  

Go Back   Bard's Coliseum > Main Category > Gladiator Arena

Old 08-22-2014, 04:50 PM
'Bardonia's Administrator

StrayStar is a splendid one to beholdStrayStar is a splendid one to beholdStrayStar is a splendid one to beholdStrayStar is a splendid one to beholdStrayStar is a splendid one to beholdStrayStar is a splendid one to beholdStrayStar is a splendid one to beholdStrayStar is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: V a c a t i o n !

And so, yesterday I went north. And when I say north, I mean north. We started at the crack of dawn, and got back to Tomohon in the dark.

If you have Google Earth punch in Rinondoran Likupang Sulawesi Utara. We went thru Manado on the way (pick someone up) so if scroll view out a bit so you see Manado and draw a line to Rinondoran thru the mountains & jungle, to the shoreline, thats where I went, right to the north shore. Then from there cut across in a (not so) straight line to Bitung. Busy port, Wrench! And I managed to get inside the gate and walk about for a few photos of the unloding and loading and various goin's on. For a short while anyways.

Anyhow, more on all that later.

I'm going to try tp post a pic off my wife's facebook that i managed to post (facebook seems more friendly to me here than Photobucket on my connection).

If you can see this, this was taken at my first break of the day in Rinondoran, sitting on a big hunk of driftwood drinking a (warm) Bintang beer.

That is Mount Klabat, I have now fulfilled my (ambitious) desire to travel completely around it abd see from all sides. When I am back in the town I stay in, it is a distant landmark I can only see from high ground like up on Mt Mahawu or if i am in or near the village of Rurukan.

If you do have Google earth up, find lake Tondano. I also went completely around that along the shoreline last week, check another one off

Old 08-22-2014, 05:08 PM

StrayStar is a splendid one to beholdStrayStar is a splendid one to beholdStrayStar is a splendid one to beholdStrayStar is a splendid one to beholdStrayStar is a splendid one to beholdStrayStar is a splendid one to beholdStrayStar is a splendid one to beholdStrayStar is a splendid one to behold

And speaking of my (crazy?) ambition to go completely around these landmarks, Last week I walked (hiked?) completely around the rim of the volcano crater at the top of mt Mahawu. Zoom in on that if you can. A long walk, lemme say. And if to do look at it... where the road appears to stop... well, yep. The hike starts down there...
Old 08-25-2014, 05:17 AM

Killing off 9 hours between flights in Singapore. Already had 3 beers and spent about a hundred twenty bucks and still have almost 4 hours til takeoff. Standing here i can see the Singapore Hard Rock Cafe wayyyy over there... looks like another beer is in the cards... rock on!
Old 08-25-2014, 05:45 AM
Elite Member

Calli is a splendid one to beholdCalli is a splendid one to beholdCalli is a splendid one to beholdCalli is a splendid one to beholdCalli is a splendid one to beholdCalli is a splendid one to beholdCalli is a splendid one to behold

Good grief, how much does beer cost in Singapore.....$120 and only 3 beers!?
Safe home, our world weary traveler!!
Old 08-26-2014, 05:30 PM

Hahaha... no, beer is not that expensive in Singapore... altho I couldn't afford to be a regular at the Hard Rock there...

No, my money was mainly spent by my wife. There is no end to the shops in the Singapore airport.

I am, as of 2 hours ago, H O M E !!!

12 time zones in 24 +/- hours has got me whipped... and I gotta go to work in the morning.
Old 08-26-2014, 07:53 PM
Elite Member

Noguru is just really niceNoguru is just really niceNoguru is just really niceNoguru is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrayStar View Post

12 time zones in 24 +/- hours has got me whipped... and I gotta go to work in the morning.
Mercy! I'd be on oxygen. Don't work too hard your first day in!
Old 08-26-2014, 09:35 PM
Elite Member

Calli is a splendid one to beholdCalli is a splendid one to beholdCalli is a splendid one to beholdCalli is a splendid one to beholdCalli is a splendid one to beholdCalli is a splendid one to beholdCalli is a splendid one to behold

Good grief, you are going to need another vacation just to handle the time zones. PLEASE DO NOT operate any heavy equipment! Step away from the washing machine!!! LOL
Old 09-12-2014, 02:13 AM

Well now, since the very day I got back to the USofA I have been working 12-16 hours a day, every day.

Still at it but my wife has been pestering me to get some photo's up on her facebook page...

And so I am.

I'll link to some interesting ones as I get to them.

These 2 are from my postings over the last 24 hours. Both are panoramas. As you may recall, I been puttering around now and then with constructing panoramas from multiple pics.

The first is of a fish farm near the village of Eris on Lake Tondano.

`

`

This next one is of an unused Amphitheater in Woloan, West Tomohon. Not far from where I stay. That is the volcano Lokon in the background. This was made from 3 pictures I took while sitting drinking a couple (warm!) beers with some friends, waiting for the sun to set behind Lokon.

In the near future I will post some pics of the valley below as seen from that small structure with the roof in the upper left.

Old 09-12-2014, 07:02 AM

Here I am at "City Extra" resturant on the waterfront near Manado. That volcanic island behind me is Manado Tua. The long island to the right is Bunaken, both part of the Bunaken National Marine Park

Goddamn good fish & shrimp @ City Extra...

Old 09-12-2014, 09:44 AM

And speaking of pics of me... yes folks, even on a remote beach after a 3 hour ride thru the jungle...

... my neice taking a "selfie" of us (one of many... ) and broadcasting it who-knows-where (Facebook is too "yesterday" & "old folkie" for her and her pals).