Bard's Coliseum  

Go Back   Bard's Coliseum > Main Category > Gladiator Arena

Old 04-17-2016, 04:04 PM
Elite Member

Calli is a splendid one to beholdCalli is a splendid one to beholdCalli is a splendid one to beholdCalli is a splendid one to beholdCalli is a splendid one to beholdCalli is a splendid one to beholdCalli is a splendid one to behold
Default Spring has sprung

I can tell cause the dandelions are cropping up all over the lawn.

Blue birds are nesting, Robins are boppin, chipmunks are zipping around and the deer are eating my Daylily plants...

What's happening in your world? Had enough politics for a while? I think my mute button for the TV is gonna break...I have to use it so much to avoid Trumpet-phobia!
Old 04-17-2016, 05:17 PM
Virgil Turdblossom

Wrenchbender is a name known to allWrenchbender is a name known to allWrenchbender is a name known to allWrenchbender is a name known to allWrenchbender is a name known to allWrenchbender is a name known to all
Default Re: Spring has sprung

Bad weather this week in Texas, so I'm spending my days off in Minnie. I worked an OT day today and after I got off work I went down to the state park to scope out spring's progress. It was about 80 degrees and things are turning green. Supposed to be nice again tomorrow, so maybe I'll get some charcoal and some weenies and head back there with a book and spend the afternoon relaxing. Seems like a worthwhile project.
Old 04-18-2016, 10:17 AM
'Bardonia's Administrator

StrayStar is a splendid one to beholdStrayStar is a splendid one to beholdStrayStar is a splendid one to beholdStrayStar is a splendid one to beholdStrayStar is a splendid one to beholdStrayStar is a splendid one to beholdStrayStar is a splendid one to beholdStrayStar is a splendid one to behold

Still not really feeling "Springish" at the StrayStar compound. Yesterday morning I woke to 26 degrees and frost on my windshield. Grass ain't greening up yet. Of course I'm on the north side of a hill, with tall pines between me and the noonday sun, until it gets higher...

... late yesterday afternoon it did get into the high 60's.

Some trees are just barely showing signs of budding, some are not.

My brother and I left way early Saturday morning and went for a drive over in Vermont., total 533 miles for the day. One of my favorite mountain roads was still closed for the winter. Saw lots of ice beside the Moss Glen waterfall on RT 100, and on that section of RT 100 in general.

Interesting, the sap is still flowing in some maple trees, indicating that most nights have been cold in VT.
Old 04-18-2016, 05:57 PM
Elite Member

lakelady has a spectacular aura aboutlakelady has a spectacular aura aboutlakelady has a spectacular aura about

Trees and grass are fully green here. Temps in the mid 80s today which is above normal, but no humidity. We had a fairly mild winter with only a few cold snaps and not much snow, warmish followed by very cold at the beginning of the month that confused the growing stuff but it looks like everything is back on track.
There are three geese and two nests on two islands on the tiny pond next door so I'm hoping for babies to watch.
Hope you northern folks get your spring on soon.
Wrench, I wondered if the weather in Houston was affecting you.
Old 04-18-2016, 08:49 PM
Elite Member

Noguru is just really niceNoguru is just really niceNoguru is just really niceNoguru is just really nice

Everything is popping open here. Will be cutting grass by next weekend. Could have done it today, but what the hell. Why do today what you can put off until next week, that's what I always say.
Old 04-19-2016, 07:55 AM
Virgil Turdblossom

Wrenchbender is a name known to allWrenchbender is a name known to allWrenchbender is a name known to allWrenchbender is a name known to allWrenchbender is a name known to allWrenchbender is a name known to all

It was my first day off from a long week at the pain palace yesterday. I went down the street to a neat little grocery store that makes sausages and hotdogs and got some Polish sausages and some charcoal. Got a book and some wine and headed down to the park. Talked to the missus at home and they are conducting some horrible weather down in Texas right now. Flooding everywhere. Houston is pretty much flooded. Our house is on high ground and really in no danger of flooding, but lots of neighborhoods around us are under water. That's not too unusual for Houston, though. I might head out to Boston next week and meet up with the missus there. I got some Lindor chocolates to take with me.

Old 04-27-2016, 07:30 AM

StrayStar is a splendid one to beholdStrayStar is a splendid one to beholdStrayStar is a splendid one to beholdStrayStar is a splendid one to beholdStrayStar is a splendid one to beholdStrayStar is a splendid one to beholdStrayStar is a splendid one to beholdStrayStar is a splendid one to behold

And so... Had 1" of snow yesterday.

3 out of the last 7 nights went below freezing.

Next week is May.

Sheesh.
Old 04-27-2016, 07:51 AM

However... on the topic of Spring...

I have been needing a new lawn tractor for several years. Just keep patching up Ol' Betsy and saying, "One more season...".

I wasn't looking forward to this years trials to get her running. Need lots of work and deck is rusted through in places.

So... Friday morning just before noon I am sitting at my desk at work and my brother calls. He wants to know if I want a broken lawn tractor, don't know what the problems is.

I wasn't too thrilled about another broken tractor on my hands until he said it was "Roger's". Roger was my brother's landlord until he passed away a year and a half ago. My brother and I worked with him for about 25 years back in another lifetime.

Anyway's, Rogers tractor is a 20 hp Craftsman with all the options you could get 8 years ago when it was new. Roger's lawn is square, flat and only slightly larger than a postage stamp. That tractor was used maybe 45 minutes every week to 10 days, then cleaned and put back in the garage. Never seen a rainy day. Oil changed yearly, etc., and so on.

My brother has been mowing the lawn with it for Roger's wife since Roger passed. Same drill, clean it up before putting it to bed in the garage.

He was mowing Thursday morning when the thing just quit on him. You couldn't even get it to turn past the compression stroke. After dicking around with it a bit, he broke the news to Gloria that someone smarter then he needed to look at it, and he was willing to load it up and take it to a repair shop for her. She said no, TIME FOR A NEW ONE. My brother and a neighbor tried to talk her into at least finding out what the problem was first, but she insisted. So my brother hitched up his trailer and went with her to the John Deere dealer and bought an new mower.

My brother mowed the yard with the new mower Friday morning and she asked him if he would get rid of the "old one" for her. He asked what she wanted to do with it and she said she didn't care, get it outta the yard asap. Take it to the dump, anything.

So he called me...

... and I told him to load it up and I'll meet him at my house to unload it.

To make an already long story short, by 4PM Sunday I had it running and was mowing my lawn.

Seems it was the valves. The intake valve to be specific. The stud that the rocker sits on came loose and put the rocker way out of adjustment.

So, for the price of a new feeler gauge (couldn't find mine for the life of me) and some Locktite thread sealer, i have a new tractor. 8 years old, yet showroom fresh.

Yabba dabba dooooo !

Old 04-27-2016, 02:31 PM
Elite Member

Calli is a splendid one to beholdCalli is a splendid one to beholdCalli is a splendid one to beholdCalli is a splendid one to beholdCalli is a splendid one to beholdCalli is a splendid one to beholdCalli is a splendid one to behold

You are one lucky duck. Happy spring.

We actually had the windows open for the first time this season. A beautiful day and thanks to the recent rains the fire index and the pollen count are low.
The pollen being low won't last...so we took advantage of the day.

It feels great to welcome spring. Although I understand N. Conway got snow and my friend in Vermont got some of the heavy wet stuff a couple days ago.
Old 04-28-2016, 04:53 AM

Just 27 deg. - frosty! - at my house this morning.