Bard's Coliseum  

Go Back   Bard's Coliseum > ~Poetry Pavilion~

Old 12-18-2006, 01:56 PM
Impervious

whiteclouder is on the right path
Default 1/31/07--I Lay Down My Tools For The Final Time

The Old Dog

Heís old. He knows it. Blind in one eye and his hearing about gone, he approaches street crossings cautiously, and hopes others will be lookiní out for him. They haveóso far. Thereís something growing in his gut that frets him, something that stops him short on occasion, grabs him like. If he waits a few seconds it goes away, but lately, itís been more frequent. Worrisome. The sun feels good. It had always, but now itís special; it kinda dissolves the stiffness in his hips, especially if he lays flat on his side, his legs straight out. He knows from experience thatís an exposed posture, but those about him seem to understand, and walk aroundóand thatís nice, Ďcause it hurts to move quick. Younger mutts, especially the little ones, bother himómostly they have the sense to leave him alone. Itís not because of the noise they make, he can barely hear them anyway, itís more about the memories they jar loose in his brain. The scenes that play in his mind of the old times; when he could go for days on three or four hours sleep, catching a bite when he could, and a slurp of something wet when he got the chance. Good memories, but they hurt too, because of the truth they bring. The truth; bright as the sun thatís slowly cooking him as he naps, as nagging as the ache in his jawóanother tooth about to give it upócanít be many left; truth, the essence left after the pain of a the learning experience has disipated. The truth that heís not as strong or quick he used to be. But he knows thatís all right because heís not asked to do much anymore; just tell the occasional story, show a young pup an old trick or two, maybe, just maybe, get a vague rise when something really striking passes by. But mostly, the truth is what it isóitís his time to go, and maybe he will, after he finishes his nap.

Cloud..
Old 01-04-2007, 03:41 PM
'Gladiator' In Wait

Bard has a reputation beyond reputeBard has a reputation beyond reputeBard has a reputation beyond reputeBard has a reputation beyond reputeBard has a reputation beyond reputeBard has a reputation beyond reputeBard has a reputation beyond reputeBard has a reputation beyond reputeBard has a reputation beyond reputeBard has a reputation beyond reputeBard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 1/31/07--I Lay Down My Tools For The Final Time

Cloud

This is my first time in the poetry pavillion in weeks

I just now saw this splendid piece

Thank you sir

Rod

It is the bulk of a life lived, that defines a man, not merely
a chapter, moment, nor day.

Old 07-06-2009, 03:29 PM
'Gladiator' In Wait

Bard has a reputation beyond reputeBard has a reputation beyond reputeBard has a reputation beyond reputeBard has a reputation beyond reputeBard has a reputation beyond reputeBard has a reputation beyond reputeBard has a reputation beyond reputeBard has a reputation beyond reputeBard has a reputation beyond reputeBard has a reputation beyond reputeBard has a reputation beyond repute

Upon rereading, I again say bravo.

Old 08-14-2009, 07:47 PM
'Gladiator' In Wait

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteclouder
The Old Dog

Heís old. He knows it. Blind in one eye and his hearing about gone, he approaches street crossings cautiously, and hopes others will be lookiní out for him. They haveóso far. Thereís something growing in his gut that frets him, something that stops him short on occasion, grabs him like. If he waits a few seconds it goes away, but lately, itís been more frequent. Worrisome. The sun feels good. It had always, but now itís special; it kinda dissolves the stiffness in his hips, especially if he lays flat on his side, his legs straight out. He knows from experience thatís an exposed posture, but those about him seem to understand, and walk aroundóand thatís nice, Ďcause it hurts to move quick. Younger mutts, especially the little ones, bother himómostly they have the sense to leave him alone. Itís not because of the noise they make, he can barely hear them anyway, itís more about the memories they jar loose in his brain. The scenes that play in his mind of the old times; when he could go for days on three or four hours sleep, catching a bite when he could, and a slurp of something wet when he got the chance. Good memories, but they hurt too, because of the truth they bring. The truth; bright as the sun thatís slowly cooking him as he naps, as nagging as the ache in his jawóanother tooth about to give it upócanít be many left; truth, the essence left after the pain of a the learning experience has disipated. The truth that heís not as strong or quick he used to be. But he knows thatís all right because heís not asked to do much anymore; just tell the occasional story, show a young pup an old trick or two, maybe, just maybe, get a vague rise when something really striking passes by. But mostly, the truth is what it isóitís his time to go, and maybe he will, after he finishes his nap.

Cloud..

Again I reread carefully
& gratefull I did
Something so special about your words at times
So very familiar..............
The essance, the very essance......therein lies the beauty
The spirit revealed, usually guarded, seldom loosed
Familiar, makes me feel as if I'm known to another
As they are to me, through this necklace of words,
bridging hearts in time....

Rodney

Old 09-13-2010, 09:51 PM
Unbound

CooCooTheLooseScrew will become famous soon enough

The tone is so soft and smoothe... I really like the ending... it's like... even aged and ready... he's still gonna go on his terms... after his nap...

This is a great read